SharpSnmpPro.Mib Assembly Full Version Reviewers’ Guide¶
By Lex Li
This page shows you a guide on SharpSnmpPro.Mib assembly full version.
The Full version is sent to registered users only via emails, and is packaged up with latest #SNMP Library. So below are the assemblies in the ZIP package,
Unlike the Compiler Pro which requires .NET 4.5 and Windows, this product can be used on multiple platforms,
- .NET Framework 4.5.2 and above
- Mono 4.2.1 and above
- Xamarin.iOS Unified
The default build targets desktop profiles only. Customers who need to target iOS and Android can request mobile builds via customer support free of charge.
You learn how SNMP operations can be done by consuming the open source SNMP API. A question then is what values MIB documents provide, as they are said to be an important part of SNMP protocol but not seem to be utilized anywhere if we solely use #SNMP Library.
Well, a rough answer is MIB documents mean everything,
- They tell what each object identifiers (OID) mean.
- They tell which OID is for a table, a row, and a column.
- They tell which kind of data we should expect for an object,
OCTET STRINGor any other valid types.
Thus, a MIB specific library such as SharpSnmpPro.Mib can help build a much more powerful SNMP manager.
To test it out, we reuse the default test projects for Trial version, which can be found at GitHub. It can be cloned to a local folder, such as
git clone https://github.com/lextm/sharpsnmppro-sample.git git checkout release_1.2
Then the assemblies can be copied to that folder (
D:\sharpsnmppro-sample for example).
Tests.csproj is an NUnit project that shows the below,
- How to compile and load MIB documents.
- How to query entity by name.
- How to check description of entities.
- How to verify data against entities. (note that the trial edition only support simple entities, while the full edition supports all entities).
- How to check OBJECT-TYPE macro specific properties.
To make the test project work with Full version, the following changes need to be made,
- Remove the original reference to
- Add a new reference to
sharpsnmppro.txtfollowing the instructions in the email.
TRIALfrom “Conditional compilation symbols”, which then enables Full version only test cases.